Leak at Entrance Closes Washington Monument
The Washington Monument has closed to visitors because of a leak above the security screening room at the entrance.
National Park Service spokesman Mike Litterst says the leak affected the X-ray machines Monday and is potentially compromising security procedures. He says it’s not clear what caused the leak.
Maintenance crews were called to the scene. The park service says the monument will remain closed until the leak is repaired and security measures can function normally.
The monument was closed earlier in December because of problems with its elevator.
Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Today
- Oracle Warns Health Customers of Patient Data Breach
- Public Adjuster Pleads Guilty to Another Scam, This One on a Church in Georgia
- What Chief Claims Officers Can Do About a Growing Trend of Alleged Bad Faith Claims
- Wall Street Brokers Start Trading Insurer Claims From LA Fires
Popular This Month
- Douglas Elliman Firm Sued for Allegedly Enabling Alexander Brothers
- Bayer Weighs Billions in Capital Raise for Lawsuits, Shares Tumble
- Alert for Contractors, Builders Insurers: Construction Defect Lawsuits Likely to Rise
- Lemonade Embraced AI in Claims From Inception, And Is Still Eying The Next Tech