Mozambique Earmarks $32M for Future Flood Response
Mozambique’s government has announced a new plan to deal with the country’s frequent and deadly flood disasters.
Deputy foreign minister Enrique Banze said on Wednesday the government has set aside up to $32 million in the national budget to cover disaster response efforts and the needs of people who may be displaced.
Mozambique is frequently hit by flooding. In 2000 the country experienced its worst flood, in which more than 800 people were killed and hundreds of thousands were made homeless when waters severely submerged whole towns.
Last year, flooding in the north and central parts of the country killed at least 55 people and displaced nearly 170,000 people.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Today
- Snap, YouTube Settle School-Social Media Suit Ahead of Trial
- Progressive Is Biggest Auto Insurer, Surpassing State Farm, S&P Says
- Verisk Report Shows Drop in US Reconstruction Costs in 2Q
- California Fire Spread Slows But Dangerous Conditions Linger
Popular This Month
- Bayer Banking on US Supreme Court’s Help to Rein in Roundup Lawsuits
- AI Ruling Prompts Warnings From Lawyers: Your Chats Could Be Used Against You
- CommScope Sued by Lenders for at Least $150 Million Over Alleged Breach
- ‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco