J&J Must Pay $15M to Man Who Says Talc Caused His Cancer, Jury Finds
Plaintiff Evan Plotkin sued the company in 2021 soon after his diagnosis, saying he was sickened by inhaling J&J’s baby powder.
Related: J&J Talc Bankruptcy Stays in Texas Despite ‘Forum-Shopping’ Opposition
The jury in Fairfield County, Connecticut Superior Court also found that the company should pay additional punitive damages, which will be determined later by the judge overseeing the case.
“Evan Plotkin and his trial team are thrilled that a jury once again decided to hold Johnson & Johnson accountable for their marketing and sale of a baby powder product that they knew contained asbestos,” Ben Braly, a lawyer for Plotkin, said in an email.
Related: J&J Unit Files for Bankruptcy to Advance $10B Talc Settlement
Erik Haas, J&J’s worldwide vice president of litigation, said in a statement that the company would appeal “erroneous” rulings by the trial judge that kept the jury from hearing critical facts about the case.
“Those facts show that the verdict is irreconcilable with the decades of independent scientific evaluations confirming talc is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer,” Haas said.
Related: J&J Lifts Baby Powder Settlement Bid to More than $8.2 Billion
Tuesday’s verdict comes as J&J seeks to resolve claims by more than 62,000 people who say that they got ovarian and other gynecological cancers from talc through a nearly $9 billion settlement in bankruptcy.
The bankruptcy deal, which faces legal challenges from some plaintiffs’ lawyers, has put the lawsuits over gynecological cancers on hold, but does not affect the much smaller number of mesothelioma claims like Plotkin’s. The company has previously settled some of those claims but has not proposed a nationwide settlement.
Plaintiffs in all of the lawsuits say that J&J’s talc products, like its once iconic baby powder, were tainted with asbestos, a carcinogen known to cause mesothelioma and other cancers.
J&J withdrew its talc-based powder products from the U.S. market in 2020.
Reuters watched the verdict announcement through Courtroom View Network.
(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York, Editing by Alexia Garamfalvi and Bill Berkrot)
- Oracle Warns Health Customers of Patient Data Breach
- Trump’s Tariffs Send Deliberate Shock to Heart of Global Economy
- How A Long-Lived Super-Regional Carrier is Implementing AI in Claims
- AI Beats Traditional Weather Models in Forecasting Wildfires
- Consulting Firm BRG Suffers Cyberattack Amid LBO Debt Sale
- Lemonade Embraced AI in Claims From Inception, And Is Still Eying The Next Tech
- What Chief Claims Officers Can Do About a Growing Trend of Alleged Bad Faith Claims
- State Farm Wins Dismissal of Homeowners’ Class Action Over Use of Xactimate Software