Truck in Fatal Kentucky Crash Lacked Recorder
Federal investigators say there was no electronic recorder on a truck that crossed the median on Interstate 65 in Kentucky and killed the truck driver and 10 others.
National Transportation Safety Board spokesman Peter Knudson says along with lacking a recorder, the manual log kept by the driver, 45-year-old Kenneth Laymon of Alabama, was destroyed in the fire caused by the crash.
Knudson says investigators generally look to those to determine how long a driver had been on the road.
Laymon’s truck crossed the median on I-65 near Munfordville on March 26, striking a van carrying Mennonites traveling to a wedding in Iowa. Two young children survived the crash.
Kentucky State Police have previously said Laymon’s cell phone was active around the time of the crash and that tests were negative for drugs or alcohol in his system.
- Trump Set to Sign AI Cybersecurity Directive as Soon as Thursday
- Openly’s Tech-Forward Approach Includes AI in Claims
- California Fire Spread Slows But Dangerous Conditions Linger
- CommScope Sued by Lenders for at Least $150 Million Over Alleged Breach
- ‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
- Hail to High Variance: Rethinking Test Squares and Roof Damage Assessment
- Florida Woman Drives Elevated Pickup Over Lamborghini Sports Car in Parking Lot
- Ransom Attacks up, but Payments Headed Down as Cyber Becomes Top of Mind