Paralyzed Vermont High Schooler Settles Suit Against School
A paralyzed former Vermont high school football player has settled a negligence lawsuit against the Barre school district just days before the case was scheduled to go to trial.
The details of the settlement between Derek Felix and the school were not released.
A trial had been scheduled to begin Monday.
Felix was a 16-year-old high junior at Barre’s Spaulding High School in 2005 when he was broke his neck trying to tackle an opponent on his second play in a game.
His lawsuit said Felix, of Barre, should not have been sent into the game because he hadn’t completed the minimum 10 practices and he had not been taught how to tackle.
The Barre-Montpelier Times Argus said Felix is a quadriplegic, but has limited use of his arms.
Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Today
- Bankrupt 23andMe’s DNA Data Gets Sale Nod as Concerns Linger
- How A Long-Lived Super-Regional Carrier is Implementing AI in Claims
- State Farm Wins Dismissal of Homeowners’ Class Action Over Use of Xactimate Software
- What Chief Claims Officers Can Do About a Growing Trend of Alleged Bad Faith Claims
Popular This Month