North Carolina Court Allows Student Abuse Suit Against County
A North Carolina court ruling means a former Wilmington student can seek damages for alleged sexual abuse even though the New Hanover County school system’s insurance doesn’t cover it.
The state Supreme Court ruled earlier this month in favor of the student. The student said in a lawsuit that he was denied an education because another student sexually assaulted him. The ruling means the lawsuit can move forward in court.
The Star-News of Wilmington reported Friday that attorney Bruce Robinson said the ruling says the constitutional right to an education is more important than the school system’s claim of immunity. The school system sought dismissal of the lawsuit on grounds that its insurance didn’t cover the claim.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Popular Today
- AI Data Center Boom Is ‘Maxing Out’ P/C Insurers, AIG CEO Says
- Bodily Injury Is Now A Big Share of Auto Claims Payouts. Is AI to Blame for That Too?
- Trump Wins Permission to Revise BBC Suit to Remove Brand Damage
- Edison Judge Balks at Holding Utility Liable for LA Wildfire
Popular This Month