San Bernardino Bishop Says Church Fund Won’t Go To Abuse Claims
The Diocese of San Bernardino will not use money parishioners have donated to build new churches to settle cases of clergy sexual abuse, Bishop Gerald R. Barnes said.
The diocese is named in at least 17 pending lawsuits by people who claim to have been sexually abused by priests.
“I believe we have sufficient insurance coverage and indemnification to (ensure) we can compensate victims and continue to carry on our mission of preaching the gospel,” Barnes said in a letter read in parishes over the weekend.
He explained that the Diocesan Development Fund is incorporated separately “and will not be used to settle cases of clergy sexual abuse.”
Barnes also told church members in the letter that the diocese does not expect to file for bankruptcy as the Diocese of San Diego did last week. That filing halted more than 140 lawsuits there just as a trial was scheduled to begin.
He asked parishioners to pray for the San Diego diocese, especially the victims and their families.
“Please pray and support your many fine priests who daily serve your needs, but also feel the shame, embarrassment and betrayal of their brothers who have committed these crimes,” he wrote.
- CommScope Sued by Lenders for at Least $150 Million Over Alleged Breach
- Trump Set to Sign AI Cybersecurity Directive as Soon as Thursday
- JPMorgan Banker Sues Ex-Colleague Over ‘Fabricated’ Sex Claims
- Openly’s Tech-Forward Approach Includes AI in Claims
- AI Ruling Prompts Warnings From Lawyers: Your Chats Could Be Used Against You
- ‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
- Bayer Banking on US Supreme Court’s Help to Rein in Roundup Lawsuits
- The Adjuster’s Year Ahead: What AI Will and Won’t Change About the Job