La. State Police Issue Warrants in Fake Accident Scam
Louisiana state police allege that an insurance scam in Louisiana involving fake traffic wrecks netted nearly $200,000 over seven years, the Associated Press reported.
State police issued arrest warrants for 13 people in the New Orleans area, including the alleged ringleader who had worked as a private investigator handling insurance fraud cases. At least eight had been arrested.
Authorities said the investigation began when a 27-year-old woman called Direct General Insurance Co. in January and said she had been involved in staging an accident in October 2002.
“The woman just decided that what she was doing wasn’t right,” Trooper Omar Landrum, a state police spokesman, told the AP.
State police said they had identified 70 suspicious accidents that took place from 1997 until earlier this year. They said about $193,000 was paid to settle the false claims.
State police said they believe the ringleader was Elton Calloway, a private investigator who involved family members and friends in the alleged frauds.
Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Openly’s Tech-Forward Approach Includes AI in Claims
- Trump Set to Sign AI Cybersecurity Directive as Soon as Thursday
- Iran Starts Bitcoin-Backed Ship Insurance for Hormuz Strait
- JPMorgan Banker Sues Ex-Colleague Over ‘Fabricated’ Sex Claims
- Florida Woman Drives Elevated Pickup Over Lamborghini Sports Car in Parking Lot
- Ransom Attacks up, but Payments Headed Down as Cyber Becomes Top of Mind
- Hail to High Variance: Rethinking Test Squares and Roof Damage Assessment
- ‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco